Address: Hemmesjö gamla kyrka, 360 43 Åryd
The building is a Romanesque stone church from the 12th century. When a new church was built in 1854, the old building was left to decay. In the Beginning of the 1920s, it was renovated and parts of the old church could be used again. The building was reinaugurated in 1949.
The choir and the longhouse are the eldest parts of the church while the sacristy was added later. There was also a separate steeple by the church. Already during the 18th century, the church was considered too small for the parish and sketches for a refurbishment were made. The plan was to build a large new tower, which could also serve to extend the longhouse, but instead the money was used to build a completely new and bigger church. This was also due to the royal resolution in 1843, which lead to the two parishes Tegnaby and Hemmesjö sharing one church. Exceptional for this church are the remains of lime paintings, intricate wrought iron doors and an altar screen depicting St Sigfrid, dating from the late Middle Ages. The Altarpiece with Saint Sigfrid and his three nephews is one of the few paintings with the patron saint of the Växjö area.